History of the manor
Kirstula's name is mentioned in documents as early as the 1440s. According to various sources, the village of Kirstula belonged to the extensive parish of Mäskälä at the beginning of the 16th century, and the village then comprised three farms: the Maunula tax farm, the Glasila or Lasila and Porila taru farms. In addition to these mentioned farms, the village included two more farmsteads.
At the end of the 18th century, in connection with the land transactions made by the then mayor of Hämeenlinna, Gottlieb John, Kirstula became a large estate and at that time it became known as Kirstula Manor. During the time of Mayor Gottlieb John and his sons, Kirstula Manor grew into a handsome country mansion with its new main buildings.
In 1842 the business of Gottlieb John Jr. went bankrupt and the pharmacist, name counselor Gabriel Dobrovolski bought the manor at a bankruptcy auction.
From him the manor was transferred in 1852 to General Carl August Standertskjöld. The general is known to have only spent his summers in Kirstula. Mrs. Fanny was actively involved in the housekeeping of the manor and during her time the manor was a leading agricultural farm with marshy cultivation and cultivation experiments.
Kirstula's next owner was Carl August and Fanny Standertskjöld's son Carl Henrik Johan. He owned the manor until 1915, when he sold Kirstula to his brother's son Gustaf Herman Standertskjöld-Nordenstam. Fanny Adele, the daughter of Carl Henrik Johan, was dissatisfied with the deal and filed a lawsuit against his cousin Gustaf Herman, winning the case. However, the current Kirstula manor remained with Carl Henrik Johan, Fanny's cousin got land from elsewhere.
In the autumn of 1925, Kirstula was plagued by a severe epidemic of typhus, which began when, as a result of a dry summer, the manor well ran out of water and began to be taken from the lake. A total of eight people died in the manor, among them host Gustaf Herman Standertskjöld-Nordenstam. Gustaf Herman's wife Stella os Rehbinder was of German and Estonian descent. Two years after her husband's death, she sold Kistula and moved back to Estonia.
After Stella Rehbinder, Kirstula changed owners at a rapid pace and it ended up in the ownership of the National Equity Bank. KOP leased the manor to the Prison Administration in 1933. Kirstula was on lease until 1939, when Mauri Honkajuuri, the then Governor of the National Equity Bank, bought it from the bank himself.
Director General Honkajuuri began the renovation of the badly dilapidated manor. Honkajuuri, a native of Southern Ostrobothnia, invited the sculptor Hannes Autere to design a large Ostrobothnian hall upstairs in the main building.
At the beginning of the 1950s, the manor was transferred to Agronomist Jaakko Honkajuure, the son of Director General Mauri Honkajuure. During his time in 1956, a pea canning factory was established on the manor, among other things. In 1968, Jaakko Honkajuuri built an approximately 200 m2 swimming pool in connection with the main building. Agronomist Jaakko Honkajuuri died at the age of 88 in 2001.
At the end of 2003, the manor passed into the ownership of Jaakko Honkajuure's son Tuomas Honkajuure. After this, major renovation and refurbishment work began on the manor, which was completed during 2005. Today, the manor is in residential use and we also organize various parties and other events.